I remember the first time I ever ate sweet potatoes in my life. It was on a hot summer’s day while I was on a holiday with my parents in the US. More specifically, we were seated on the terrace of our hotel’s restaurant in Mackinac Island, Michigan, overlooking the magnificent Lake Huron. We were served a side dish of sweet potato fries. I was sold after the first bite.
To me, it was so surprising that something that is called a potato could be so far from the actual flavour of the “regular” potatoes. The colour is amazingly bright and the taste is out of this world. Oven roasted potatoes are easily the side dish I am most excited to eat, so it seemed like a good idea to try it with sweet potatoes. To enhance the sweetness of the yams, honey is poured over, which will give an extra sticky yet sweet bite to the dish.
These honey roasted sweet potatoes are an easy companion, as they can be served with anything from meat to fish, and chicken to vegetarian. I partnered it with a honey and herb soaked meatloaf, but it can go perfect along the trout recipe as well!
Honey Roasted Sweet Potato Fries
- 1 kg sweet potatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2-3 sprigs of fresh oregano
- Sea salt flakes
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 tsp honey
Used kitchen appliances:
- Baking tray
- Baking paper
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C or . Place a sheet of baking paper on the tray.
- Rinse the sweet potatoes and make sure there is no dirt on the skin left. Halve them, and slice in fries. Place on the tray.
- Coat the sweet potatoes with the olive oil. Sprinkle over the oregano leaves, and season with salt and pepper. Place in the oven for 35 minutes.
- Take the tray out of the oven and evenly pour the honey over the potatoes. Return to the oven for another 10 minutes. Check to see if the potatoes are cooked through by putting a fork through, the potato should be soft.