I’m just going to come clean here. I am not a huge fan of chocolate. There, I said it. I like it, but I never really crave it. Except for this one simple combination which makes me want to never stop eating it; sea salt, caramel and milk chocolate. So why not try and recreate that taste myself?
This was actually the first time that I have made caramel, so I was a little nervous beforehand. As it turns out though, it’s pretty darn easy. Basically, it is kind of like boiling sugar. Patience is an important trait to have in this case. Stay by the pan to make sure that your caramel, or your pan for that matter, gets burned.
Tip: have some extra water and a brush at hand, so you can brush the sides of the pan with water to avoid the sugar crystals burning into your pan.
These brownies may not look the prettiest, but they sure are the tastiest. Give it a try! I promise you’ll want to be baking a whole lot more with caramel once you know how to make it.
Salted Caramel Brownies
- 150 grams butter
- 200 grams light brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 150 grams self raising flour
- 75 grams cocoa powder
- 1 tsp salt
- Sea salt flakes
Ingredients for the caramel
- 200 grams sugar
- 6 tbsp water
- 200 ml cream
- 50 grams butter
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
Used kitchen appliances
- Brownie tin
- Large mixing bowl
- Small pan
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C. Grease the brownie tin with butter.
- Melt the butter in the small pan on a low heat. Transfer the butter to the mixing bowl, and mix in the sugar. Set aside to cool.
- Add the eggs and vanilla extract, whisk until combined thoroughly.
- Sieve the flour, cocoa, and salt over the mixture. Combine with a wooden spoon. Set aside.
- Make the caramel by heating the sugar and water in a small pan on a low heat. Stay with the pan and water the sides with a brush if you see crystals forming to prevent any burning. Do not stir, only swirl the pan in the beginning to make sure the water covers the sugar.
- Once the caramel gets that beautiful light brown colour, take off the heat and add the cream, butter, and sea salt. Whisk until combined.
- Pour the batter in the brownie tin. Pour over half of the caramel, and bake in the oven for 40 minutes, or until the sides are hard but the middle is spongy. Let cool in the tin for about 5 minutes, before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once cooled, pour over more caramel to your liking and top off with sea salt flakes.