One of my favourites is this Broccoli Salad, that can be eaten with any fish, any meat, or any vegetarian main course. To enhance the flavour of the broccoli, it is of high importance to not overcook it. Please don’t ever overcook broccoli, because it will turn into a snotty, slimy, bad-smelling vegetable that you would not want to put in your mouth. Best under-cook it, and leave it to steam in a closed pan for a minute or 2.
The broccoli provides the bite to the salad, perfectly complemented by the savoury sweetness of the sun dried tomatoes, and the crunch of the spring onions and earthy flavour of the pine nuts. It’s a Mediterranean feast on a plate!
Broccoli Salad with Sun Dried Tomatoes and Pine Nuts
- 1 broccoli
- 1 shallot
- 1 garlic clove
- 3-4 spring onions
- 80 grams pine nuts
- 50 grams sun dried tomatoes
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
Used kitchen appliances
- Large pan
- Remove the lower part of the broccoli stem. Cut the rest of the stem in pieces. Slice the broccoli into uneven florets. Place them in the pan, and add enough water to cover the vegetable. Bring to the boil, and let simmer on medium heat for about 6 minutes.
- Finely chop the onion and garlic. Slice the spring onions and sun dried tomatoes. Place them in a salad bowl, along with the pine nuts.
- Drain the broccoli. Add to the salad bowl. Pour over the olive oil and mix. Season to taste.