It was just another one of those weeks when I was home alone, my parents being on a holiday to Dubai and Oman (as you do, not jealous at all). Unlike other times when I had to make dinner and eat it all by myself – I elaborated on this in my Tuna Salad post- I decided to make a promise to myself and actually prepare something. You know, boil some stuff, slice some veggies and all that.
Sure enough, this might not be the best example of my promise, it was something a bit more elaborate than just tossing ingredients together in one big bowl. The end goal was the same, but I still needed to boil the chickpeas. Which yes, is really hard to do as you know. And I had to prepare the quinoa.
I adore quinoa. The easiness of the preparation, the simplicity of the flavours, the crunchy texture. It’s so versatile. What’s even better, it comes in different colours! So you can spice up your quinoa game by surprising friends and family with black quinoa! With red quinoa! With white quinoa! Or make it one big quinoa party and choose them all! That’s what I did.
Anyways, I used to suck at making quinoa because I just couldn’t get them right, they were almost always undercooked. But the key step is to taste them after the designated cooking time. Are they still to crunchy? Add a bit more water and leave to boil for just a bit longer. If you like the texture, drain the water and let the quinoa sit in the covered pan for a couple of minutes so the grains keep steaming until utmost deliciousness.
Then, I added parsley because why would I not. Feta cheese gives a depth to the dish, while the pomegranate seeds add even more texture and a wonderful fresh fruity flavour.
It’s a Quinoa Salad Bowl filled with healthy goodness.
Quinoa Salad with Chickpeas and Pomegranate Seeds
- 125 grams quinoa
- 200 grams chickpeas (I use tinned)
- Half a cucumber
- 15 grams fresh parsley
- garlic clove
- 50 grams feta cheese
- 50 grams pomegranate seeds
- (Extra Vergine) olive oil
Used kitchen appliances
- 2 Small pans
- Salad bowls
- Prepare the quinoa according to the package.
- Warm up the chickpeas in their own juice.
- Finely chop the shallot and garlic. Dice the cucumber. Chop the parsley.
- Drain the chickpeas and any leftover liquid from the quinoa.
- Place all ingredients in the salad bowl. Crumble the feta cheese and sprinkle it over the salad together with the pomegranate seeds. Add a good slug of olive oil. Season to taste.