If you think you know comfort food, think again. My mom’s macaroni beats everything.
It’s for those days when you’ve gone cycling to work in the rain and when you drove home it was still raining. For the days when the whole word seems to be against you. The days when you’re way too tired and can’t even think straight. When you just need a little piece of the warm and comfortable feeling that memories of home can bring you.
Tip: store the leftover macaroni in an airtight container in the fridge. Reheat in a frying pan with some oil or butter and you’ve got a 5-minute meal!
Macaroni di Mama
- 500 grams macaroni
- 500 grams minced meat
- 2 onions
- 400 grams diced Italian vegetable mix (we buy this from our supermarket, you can easily make this yourself by chopping bell peppers, zucchini, leek, and carrot)
- 2 cans of tomato puree
- Grated cheese
Used kitchen appliances
- Large pasta pan
- Frying pan
- Large colander
- Serving bowl
- Prepare the pasta according to the instructions on the package(probably 10-12 min cooking time), in the large pasta pan.
- Heat olive oil in the frying pan and add the meat. Chop the onion and add to the meat. Season with salt and pepper. When the meat is almost ready, add the vegetables and let it cook for about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the puree to the meat and let it cook for 1-2 minutes or until the acidity is gone.
- Drain the macaroni in the colander, making sure to leave a bit of the water in the pan. Add the macaroni and the water in the serving bowl, and top off with the sauce.
- Mix until combined and serve with grated cheese.